07 March, 2008

Staying at the Hotel Ateneo on Calle Montera, Madrid Spain

Picking up the thread of our trip.

We got to our hotel, collapsed a bit and hit the streets. This is the
same hotel we stayed at last time we were here. Our room this time was
MUCH SMALLER. I think this was my fault, as I wrote them before we
arrived to ensure we are on the side street and not on the main street.

In case you hadn't heard the Spanish enjoy to party and drink and
smoke. The streets ring with el ruido late into the night, and poor
timechange suffering American's can take issue with those people en la
calle.

So, we showed up with our Three Bags (not 5) unpacked a bit, and did
the quick walk around town. I was still limbering up my lengua (or
tongue) as Nicci isn't very helpful in Spanish yet. I told the guy
downstairs to expect my bags the next day, and he seemed to think this
happened all the time. That encouraged me.

Bueno.

We went to the Plaza Mayor, the Puerta del Sol and started to figure
out the streets. I was armed with my map, my Moleskine. For dinner
that night, we went to the Irish bar for some Irish Breakfast for
Nicci and some fish and chips for me. Last time we were in this bar,
Nicci was deathly sick and we were at the end of our trip. Oh, and
someone puked on the floor that time, so we needed a better memory.

It was good, and on the way back to the Hotel, we got some Chocolate
con Churros (really thick chocolate in a cup, and fried dough sticks)
Yummy. Que delicioso!!

We slept and did ok. Our room was a bit hot, the bed a bit hard and
the pillows long and thin.

We'll see how tomorrow goes.

Petronius

No comments: