13 August, 2008

Bratislava

Well, I wasn't sure what to expect from this town. I just told
myself, it can't be that bad - it's just across this Danube from
Vienna and Vienna has been a world class city for centuries. The main
train station was looking a little piqued, so i was still a little
worried after we arrived. However, once we hopped on our tram and got
to the old town center area, I was happily relieved. Bratislava was
very cool and had it's own little charm. We were even dropped off
right across from a bagel shop. The old town was fairly large and
picturesque, as most European capital cities are. It was once again
not difficult being vegetarian there either.

We were not in Bratislava too long, but we were able to find a local
concert performance in one of the churches. I think its proximity to
Vienna motivates the city to have some music culture of its own. It
was a lovely concert of pipe organ and violin music. This is one
thing I wish was more readily available in the States. Just local
cheap or free classical music concerts in parks or downtowns or
churches.

Our knowledge of the history of Slovakia is fairly limited. We
weren't able to go on any tours there and just wondered through
churches and up to the old fortress castle and read what we could.
They are on their own currency currently, but are moving towards the
Euro fairly soon. I will say, that all of this traveling has
certainly motivated me to read up more on the history of these
countries. I remember very little of the European history I did
actually cover in school. I don't stand a chance for history that I
never even learned about.

No comments: